Professional Counselor – Substance Abuse, Marriage and Family Behavioral Disorder or Mental Health

Education Required

Substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselors in private practice must be licensed. Licensing requirements vary by state, but all states require these counselors to have a master’s degree and complete a specified number of hours of supervised clinical experience. In addition, counselors must pass an examination and complete continuing education every year. Contact information for your state’s regulating board is available through the National Board for Certified Counselors. Licensure requirements for substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselors outside of private practice vary by state. For example, not all states require applicants to have a specific degree, but some require them to pass an exam. Contact information for individual states’ licensing boards is available through the Addiction Technology Transfer Center Network. All states require mental health counselors to be licensed. Licensure requires successfully completing a national examination and supervised clinical work under the supervision of a licensed counselor.

What is this job like?